Salam Toronto

Salam Toronto Weekly English March 08, 2018 80 Continued from Previous Page: New Immigrant Series: Part 1: Preparing to Enter Canada for the First Time It is not possible for dependants to land before the primary applicant but there is no requirement that everyone must land together. Therefore, as long as the primary applicant lands first, the other family members can land separately before the expiry of their visas. It is also very important to note that you are required to update the information related to your status up until the time you land in Canada. For example, if there is any change in your marital status or you have a new child between the time your visa is approved and the time you land you should inform Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) immediately. At the latest, you must declare such a change at the time of you land in Canada. This is extremely important because withholding such information may be determined to be a misrepresentation that could later result in the loss of your PR status. Further, in some cases where new family members are not declared it can result in a situation where the family member (new spouse or new child) becomes an excluded family member and cannot be later sponsored to join you in Canada. If your situation is complicated, it is best to seek legal advice before you make plans to land to ensure you provide complete and accurate information and avoid potential misrepresentation or exclusion of family members. 3) Documents to bring with yourself There are a series of documents that you must have with yourself at the time of landing: 1. Passports 2. Confirmation of Permanent Residence - these are in duplicate and issued to you at the time your immigration application is approved 3. Proof of funds (if your immigration application required this) 4. Lists for Customs - “Personal Effects Accounting Document” - this consists of two lists: goods that accompany you and goods to follow later In addition, you may also prepare and bring the following documents with you that may be needed after you land in Canada. If any documents are not already translated you can obtain official translations before you come or have them translated after you arrive in Canada: 5. Family records: Birth certificates, adoption papers, marriage certificate or divorce papers 6. Immunization Record for dependent children - this will be required to enrol your children in school 7. Official school records for children 8. Educational diplomas, degrees and transcripts as well as any qualification certificates or trade licences 9. Work reference letters from previous employers 10. Driver’s licence or international driving licence 11. Health and dental records 12. If you are immigrating to Quebec you will need your Quebec Selection Certificates to access services in Quebec Make sure that the documents you are bringing with you are in your hand bag and not checked into luggage. There is always a risk that your luggage may be lost or delayed which may prevent you from being processed by the Immigration officers when you arrive in Canada. Finally, before you leave for Canada you may consider preparing and signing a power of attorney with a trusted family member or friend to follow up any outstanding matters after you leave. 4) Find temporary accommodation While you may choose to stay in a hotel for the first few days after you arrive, you can try to find furnished apartment rentals for the short term for your first few months. This will allow you to get to know the areas in the city before you enter a long term rental agreement or buy a house. You can use online websites such as www. or to try to find suitable short term accommodation. 5) Address in Canada for Permanent Residence Card If you already have a place that you will be staying when you arrive in Canada (a short term rental or a family or friend’s home) you can provide this address at the time of landing for your permanent resident card (PR Card) to be mailed to you. Make sure that you have the complete and correct address including apartment numbers and postal codes. One of the main problems that causes delays in obtaining your PR Card is an incorrect or incomplete address, so check the address and make sure it is correct. If you do not have an address at the time of landing, you will need to inform Immigration of your new address after you have obtained accommodation so that your PR Card can be processed. Once you receive your PR Card you will be able to use it to re-enter Canada after any trip that you take overseas. It will be your responsibility to ensure that you meet the conditions for keeping your PR Card and being able to renew it in the future. I advise all clients, particularly those who travel a lot, to keep a complete list of all their travels after they become landed in Canada (and if possible copies of tickets and boarding passes). This accurate list will be invaluable when you later want to renew your PR Card to apply for Canadian citizenship as the stamps in your passport may not fully document the dates that you have entered and left Canada. New Immigrant Series Over the coming weeks I will be writing about matters related to landing and settling to assist those who are planning their move to Canada as new immigrants and answer common questions in this area. We would like to hear from your feedback. Please send any immigration or citizenship questions that you would like addressed in future articles to . .............................. Zeynab Ziaie is a graduate of the Faculty of Law at the University of Toronto and a lawyer licensed to practice in Ontario and New York. Her legal practice focuses on immigration and business law. She often works with clients to find suitable solutions in complex immigration and citizenship cases and represents clients at all levels of court.